August 25, 2008

Let There Be (less) Light

WonderMom has had be working on a new (revitalized) project these last 2 weeks. She started by making an appointment with ReBath for an estimate on redoing our tub/shower area. She was happy with the proposal so we bit.


As a part of the ReBath proposal, I said I would take care of replacing the window that took up most of the wall in the shower, with a glass block window we bought 5 years (or more) ago with this remodel in mind. So for the last 2 weeks I have been working on said project, 1 week of thinking, planning, and collecting supplies, 1 week of actual labor! Sadly I didn't take any before or during photos.

Here's what the new installation looks like from the outside.
The window I removed was the same size as the one on the left. The new window is on the right!


A close up to show off the job I did on the aluminum flashing!

One of the things that helped was the fact that I didn't have to procure any weird materials to complete the job.  The only items I had to purchase were some caulking cartridges (my old ones had dried out), and a piece of angled trim for the outside sill. Sometimes it pays to be a packrat!

The siding to patch the former window space came from the side of the garage that faces the same way, so the color matched (WonderMom's idea). The garage siding was replaced with some panels left over from the original siding job. They had been stored in my shed, and were darker than the installed siding and were covered with an 18 year accumulation of dirt, dust and oil. Cleanup will happen at some later date.



The aluminum flashing was from a coil I rescued from my folks garage when their house was sold back in the 90's. I was able to form the flashing by hand with satisfactory results. The white J-channel around the window was reused from the old window.

Here's a shot from the inside to give you an idea of the difference in the sizes of the old and new window. The ReBath boys will take care of the inside

Tomorrow and Wednesday we teach an AARP Driving Safety Program from 8:30AM til 12:30PM, a Dr. appointment for me and on Thursday we leave for hurricane country to visit Socket, Mistletoe, and Pickle for the weekend. Haven't seen them in a while so we're anxious to go. Pickle is growing fast and showing Daddy what it was like to be his parents when he was 5! Paybacks are... interesting!

2 comments:

kate said...

The outside looks fabu! The decrease in light will take some getting used to in the bathroom but the window looks really good. Nice job SuperDad!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really impressed at how the siding matches, good on you mom; excellent implementation, dad.

I like the new window, though as mentioned, the light issue will be strange. I always thought it was fun to watch the kids play outside while I took a shower, but I guess that was just me....

I am looking forward to photos after the inside is done, too.

Also, its nice you had the stuff on hand, but you really didn't need the positive reinforcement in the hoarding area.